Aims of the training course
- To provide a world wide overview of the biochar industry, research and development and policy setting
- To provide an overview of what is known and what is not known about
a) properties of biochars and wood vinegar as a function of feedstock, process conditions and technology and
b) crop responses of different biochars, biochar/NPK mixes and enhanced biochars, incorporated at different application rates and different pre and post
treatments in different eco-systems.
- To provide an understanding of the principles and practice of pyrolysis and biochar production and application.
- To provide tools that allows participants to develop enhanced biochars to match local soil requirements and meet plant nutrient needs.
- To explore the use of biochar in land remediation, waste management and animal healt
- To provide a framework that allows the development and implementation of sustainable and self sustaining biochar projects and/or establish biochar businesses
- To provide an interactive environment where participants can exchange information and experiences.
Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing, Jiangsu, China
Duration and Format
Duration is 7 days. Lectures, presentations and discussion will be held in the morning and practicals including production and testing of biochar, development of biochar business plans and development programs will be held in the afternoon. A field trip to an operating commercial plant and associated field trials will be undertaken.
Cost and numbers
Participants from Universities and NGO's from developing countries (excluding China) will not be charged a tuition fee but will have to pay for airfare, food and accommodations. There is a small charge of $100 to cover lunch morning and afternoon tea.
Other Participants are requested to pay a registration fee of €350 for NGO's and €750 for commercial businesses and organisations, and are responsible for airfare, accommodations and food.
The registration fee is to cover costs of accommodation, airfare and food of trainers.
A training certificate will be issued by the end of the course.
Maximum number of participants: 35
Applying for a position – Expression of interest
Please provide the following information when sending your expression of interest in the course.
- A curriculum vitae (CV)
- In a word document
a) Why do you want to come to the course?
b) What do you expect to get from the course?
c) How will you use the information and experience that you gain?
d) Sources of funding for your airfare and accommodation